Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Investigating Browser

Prior to this class, I honestly had not though twice about what internet browser to use. Since I can remember I have always used the default browser on my computer (Internet Explorer when I was on PC, and now Safari). If a webpage loaded slow or an upload took a while, I blamed my internet connection; however, after playing around on different browsers I discovered that the browser creates the speed.

It was an ordinary event that inspired my browser search this week. I was uploading my weekly rehearsal video to youtube for my dancers to view and the upload kept freezing or was telling me that it would take 2 hours to upload. The video was 6 and a half minutes long, not an overly large file. I got extremely frustrated and groaned to the internet gods that technology hates me. Then I thought about my Tech Resources class. I did a quick search on the top 10 internet browsers and discovered Top Ten Reviews. I read through the reviews and consulted youtube for help on deciding which browser would give me speed and efficiency. I will admit, at this point I was still skeptical that changing browsers would make a difference.

I decided to download Google Chrome; I already had Firefox and Safari installed on my Mac. I had originally used Safari to try uploading the video, to no avail. I also tried Firefox, but was still not satisfied with the speed (it again froze up). Google Chrome was my life saver! Not only did the browser open quickly, it uploaded my video in 20 minutes, did not freeze up, solved my problems for the night. I am completely awed that changing browsers could make such a difference in internet speed.

I'm still exploring Google Chrome, and so far I am in love with it. To all the non-believers out there, trust me when I say your browser can make all the difference in the world.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree completely with your post. I too always blamed it on my wireless, and never even thought about it being caused by the browser. Likewise, I have used google chrome 100 percent since I started playing around with different browsers. I guess I under estimated the power of a browser!

    ReplyDelete